All mankind, yes even us who have been saved, fall into bad habits of how we deal with sin.
The Remedy for sin is NOT …
- denying it
- minimising it (making it “respectable”)
- ignoring the guilt
- hoping it will go away with time (the “time heals everything” myth)
- pushing the guilt on another by blaming them
- focussing on doing good in other ways (the “good outweighs bad” dream)
- suffering by relishing in the consequences and self-pity
- following some self-help steps
… but there is a remedy for sin, and it is confession and forgiveness (1 John 1:9).
The essence of the Christian faith was once summed up by John Newton (ex-slave trader) in these words: “I am a great sinner; Christ is a great Saviour”
The Apostle Paul put it in these words: “Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost.”
May we never treat sin lightly, nor may we ever forget the pure joy of forgiveness!
But with you there is forgiveness,
that you may be feared.