The one thing all men, especially the younger men, need to learn, know, value and practise; is to be sensible in all their life. When God reduced all that is required of a young man into just one word, it was the word sensible.
Titus 2:6 Likewise, urge the younger men to be sensible.
(The ESV says “self-controlled” which is a valid translation, but does not include the full range of the original word. “sensible” is a much better translation)
Albert Mohler wrote a booklet entitled “From Boy to Man – The Marks of Manhood” in which he addresses the many different areas in which young men need to attain some sensibility. Here is in adaptation from his list.
1. Spiritual Sensibility to Worship God. Look at Psalm 63 for more descriptions of such sensibility.
2. Personal Sensibility to Live Responsibly. May Titus 1:12 never ever become true of you. Learn moderation and demonstrate reasonableness (Philippians 4:5).
3. Economical Sensibility to Work and Handle Money. Be urged on by verses like 1 Thessalonians 4:11-12.
4. Sexual Sensibility to Remain Pure. Etch the sting of Proverbs 7:21-27 in your soul.
5. Moral Sensibility to Live Righteously. May your godliness overwhelm your youthfulness; don’t remain the forever adolescent (1 Timothy 4:12).
6. Worldview Sensibility to Know What is Important. Formulate Biblical convictions and understand Biblical priorities. Renew your mind on all topics of life (Romans 12:1-2).
7. Relational Sensibility to Understand & Respect Others. Scripture addresses the marital relationship, parenting relationship, employment and government relationships, friends and even enemy relationships. Know the difference instructions for each of them. But remember also the catch-all sensibility of Titus 3:2.
8. Social Sensibility to Contribute to Society. Do what is excellent and profitable for those around you (Titus 3:8).
9. Verbal Sensibility to Communicate Effectively. This means to stop saying certain things that enter your mind, as well as start saying things that are better (Ephesians 4:29).
10. Character Sensibility to Have Integrity. Never go against your conscience, act with honour and courage (Hebrews 13:18).
11. Biblical Sensibility to Edify & Evangelise Eagerly. The Great Commission is rightly called a commission (Matthew 28:19-20). Go and tell others of Christ, teaching them the Scriptures.
Young men, be sensible.
Fathers, model sensibility, and train your boys to be sensible and your girls to befriend only sensible men.
Mothers, pray for the sensibility of your boys, be they three or thrity-three.
Pastors, urge the young men to be sensible.