The most packed and concise summary of what we believe about the Bible is given to us by God in 2 Timothy 3:15-17,
… and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.
Identifying the various parts of this theological statement about the Bible, we affirm five reasons why the Bible is so very important.
1. In your Bible, you find the standard of spiritual truth (“sacred writings”)
2. In your Bible, you learn how to be saved (“which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus”)
3. In your Bible, you meet God (“all Scripture is breathed out by God”).
4. In your Bible, you find the process by which to go from recently saved to spiritually mature (“teaching, reproof, correction, training in righteousness”).
5. In your Bible, you have everything you need to know what to believe about spiritual truths, and how to live for every good work (“complete, equipped for every good work”)
It is therefore no surprise to identify believers by their love for the Word of God!